Sunday, May 23, 2010

Time Will Tell...

    So I'm talking to Ann from Myrtle Beach State Park and she is giving me a rundown of all the species I can expect to see here in Horry county. I must say, we have a pretty good variety of turtles here. Kemps, loggerheads, and leather backs top her list. I don't have a favorite yet, but I couldn't believe how big these turtles get! It is truly amazing!
     As I'm looking at pictures of all of these turtles, my mind turns to the Gulf Coast Oil Spill crisis. I think about how Louisianna's marsh land will never be the same...ever. And how devistating the oil is to the wildlife and fishermen. What does this mean for our turtle population? Will we see a bigger variety of species seeking safety on our coasts? And most of all, will the oil drift our direction? I guess only time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment